This hot sauce recipe is a fruit based concoction using fresh strawberries and lime with the current world’s hottest pepper, the Carolina Reaper. This sauce is outrageously hot. If someone with a black robe and a scythe knocks at your door, don’t open it!
Recipe by GhostRider
Strawberry Carolina Reaper Hot Sauce
- 8 Carolina Reaper pods (dried or fresh)
- 2 dried smoked Serrano pepper pods (or Jalapeño)
- 2 lb fresh strawberries
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- Put on some latex gloves and open the windows.
- Stem the peppers and cut them lengthwise. Remove the seeds.
- To release more flavor roast the peppers in a skillet on medium high heat and press on them with a spatula. (about 20 seconds) If you plan on doing this with Carolina Reapers, this will release capsaicin into the air, basically pepper-spraying you and the entire house. I recommend using a gas mask (painters mask will work).
- If using dried Carolina Reaper Peppers - reconstitute the peppers by bring a pot of water (about 1/2 cup) to a boil and add the peppers. Boil for a few minutes then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Save the water for later.
- Add ALL the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into the cooking pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slowly pour boiling sauce into 5 oz. sauce bottles using a funnel. Be careful! This Carolina Reaper hot sauce will burn you on two levels if it gets on your skin. It will be a chemical burn AND a thermal burn.
- Flip bottles upside down to cool, this will disinfect the entire bottle.
- This ph of this hot sauce isn't low enough, so store it in the refrigerator.